Re: recovering data from archive logs

From: Thomas Pall <tpall_at_bga.com>
Date: 9 Nov 98 23:25:51 GMT

Joe, when you destroy the database and bring on the cold backup. Does that include control files? If it does, the database does not require recovery because the SCN in the control file matches those in the data files.

Joe gulla (jgulla_at_erols.com) wrote:
: Unfortunatly I cannot get training so I' trying
: to teach myself can someone tell me what I'm missing
: here.
: I've got a database in archiving mode. I've done
: a cold backup of all the database control parameter
: logfile and password files. I deleted db and restored
: from backup to make sure procedure works.
: paramerters log_archive_start=true,log_archive_dest=d\archivelogs,
: log_archive_format=arch%S.log are set archiving is enabled.
: Now I execute or commit a bunch or transactions the archive logs do get
: created 4 of them.
: I shutdown instance, destroy the database,restore cold backups, start up
: the instance in effect to a point in time
: before the archive logs.
: The recovery method I try is using svrmgr23
: connect as sysdba,
: startup mount
: set autorecovery on
: issue recover database command
: it responds that database does not need recover and some
: error codes. (now all parameters are still intack .
: what am I missing ? how can I get data in archive logs into database

: any help will be appreciated
: Joe Gulla