Re: What's an Oracle DBA???

From: Karl E. Taylor <ktaylor_at_dragon.illusions.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 12:21:17 -0700

Powalker wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Please don't get mad at me for the stupid question, I'm starting to learn to
> program in Visual Basic and I want to know what is an Oracle DBA.
> Is this a title for a programmer, can someone tell me what's the duties for an
> Oracle DBA.
>
> Thanks in advance

Being a DBA myself, I'll be happy to tell you what I do and what I'm suppose to do. They are after all to totally different things. The "suppose to" side is what my boss thinks I do.

What I do:

Build databases for the company.

Load the base databases for the company.

Tune the databases for the company.

Upgrade the databases for the company. (After I've rewritten what the developers and programmers have sent me that did not work the first 15 times we tried loading it).

Secure the databases for the company. (user accounts, roles, privileges that sort of thing, or IOW, piss of the users).

Backup and/or Recover the databases.

What I'm suppose to do:

Be kind to users and clients. Answer all their questions politely and professionally. (Yeah, right)

Teach the developers and programmers how the databases is formed and created. (Then they think they are the DBA and start telling me how to do my job. Not on your life)

Document the database. (?!?!?!?!?)

Walk on water. (Oh sure! I always thought that was the BOSSES job, not mine.)

Have an answer to any question, even if it has nothing to do with the database. ("Hey Karl, what's the atomic weight of carbon?" Like I care.)

This has actually been a very good learning experience for me. As this is the first time I'm a dedicated DBA, I'm learning and experiencing a new level of life. I really do need to return to my prior job. It was a good job with much less stress and I higher level of reward.

Bomb Squad.
--
A DBA's life is

95% pure boredom,
5% pure panic.

Rev. Karl E. Taylor ktaylor_at_dragon.illusions.com

A.A #1143 ULC Minister

Home School Educator for Computer Science

Apostle of Dr. Lao