Re: oracle tuning

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 18:45:05 +0100

Hi Boris
Start running utlbstat and utlestat.
You need to run ORACLE_HOME\rdbms73\admin\utlbstat in svrmgr73 at say 8 or 9 in the morning and utlestat in the same directory four hours later. This will create a file called report.txt in that directory. Now first of all, the most important thing is the hit rate.
This is determined by physical reads / (db block gets + consistent gets). Oracle will tell you it needs to be 95 percent or higher. You will notice degradation when it falls below 90 percent. If this is the case, increase db_block_buffers in init<sid>.ora in ORACLE_HOME\database. I'd rather go not into more detail, there is sufficient documentation about it provided by Oracle, and repeating that is not what I should do. If you need additional assistance post (parts of) your report.txt. Probably we will be capable to find out at a glance what is happening. Remember though: in 80 percent of all cases the application is at fault and tuning the database will improve things, however not solve it. Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA