Why can't SYSTEM grant table privileges?

From: jchsl <jchsl_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 23:10:55 +1000

I know the answer to this must be in the manuals somewhere but can't find it yet. Sorry to ask but can anyone help please?

Running Oracle v7.3.2 on OpenVMS v7.2

If as SYSTEM or SYS in SQLplus or Server Manager in line mode I issue a command
like,

GRANT SELECT ON fred.sometable TO joe;

It refuses with an insufficient privileges message. Why can't SYSTEM who has DBA role do this? What do we have to do to allow SYSTEM to do this?

Please reply to jmiller_at_norqeb.com.au Received on Mon Nov 09 1998 - 07:10:55 CST