Re: What's an Oracle DBA???

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 14:34:22 +0200

The Programmer wrote in message <36446f73.5455363_at_news.singnet.com.sg>...

>What is a code jockey?

Anyone that bangs out code without the slightest inkling of how their code impacts on the operating system or other applications. That will try and find an OCX or something equally stupid for doing multithreading because they have no clue on how to write multithreading applications (and are too damn lazy to read the Win32 API). Someone who thinks the more pretty colors and k00l buttons there are, the better the application is....

Guess you get the idea? :-)

>I reckon anybody who wants to be real programmers must be able to
>program in C/C++/Java and in Object-Oriented in the case of C++ and
>Java?

Probably because using real object orientated language requires some brains and a certain amount of reasoning and logic. Or even using an old language like Cobol or Fortran requires some thought. Something that the drag-and-drop-OCX-and-there's-my-program-crowd are not known for.

As I mentioned several times before on Usenet - BASIC is Beginner's All Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code. It's fine for beginners, but don't expect me to consider a VB code jockey that only knows VB and nothing else as a real programmer. ;-)

As always, IMHO.

regards,
Billy
PS. Oh yes, you can also have a blood test to determine if you're a real programmer or not. A caffeine content of 0.5 in the blood stream will definitely qualify you... Received on Mon Nov 09 1998 - 06:34:22 CST