Re: Oracle on NT: Remote commands

From: Thomas Pall <tpall_at_bga.com>
Date: 8 Nov 98 20:22:01 GMT

I am currently maintaining a bunch of NT servers using the rcmd program. Except for the fact that rcmd can gpf and I cannot get to the box again remotely until someone restarts the service, it works fine.

There is a lot of stuff you can do without GUI. I go into server manager, stop the database, start the database, can stop and start the Oracle Services. If I need to edit a file on a remote box, I map a drive and do the editing on my NT workstation. I hardily recommend rcmd.

Daniel Brewer (dwbrewer_at_mindspring.com) wrote:
: On the NT Resouce Kit there is a rcmd program where you can execute
: batch procedures or executables on other machines. I use it to
: shutdown an Oracle 7.3 Database for a cold backup.

: On Tue, 3 Nov 1998 10:32:02 +0100, "Carsten Kristensen"
: <Carsten.Kristensen_at_bitsoft.no> wrote:

: ->We will be running Oracle8 under NT 4.0 SP3, with Failsafe (on two
: servers,
: ->each running their own db). There will be a set of events every
: night,
: ->transfers in and out and also of course the backup. To ensure that
: all these
: ->events are properly coordinated with each other, I propose to start
: them
: ->from one central (unattended) script. I will then need some way of
: sending
: ->commands (doing remote commands) from one NT box to another.
: ->
: ->I looked it up, and found rexec, rsh. Neither of them works, and I
: cannot
: ->find any reference to rexec services on NT - looks like these were
: made to
: ->execute remote commands on Unix and other systems. Any hints or
: pointers
: ->would be greatly appreciated!
: ->
: ->Carsten Kristensen