Re: Performance degradation

From: Steven Kang <skang_at_eryx.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 17:28:32 -0500

Just a thought...

Myabe your problem is not related to Oracle but Solaris 2.6. I had similar problems when I upgraded to Solaris 2.6 because I didn't install one of their patches (105181-09). This patch "supposedly" fixes a myriad of bugs relating to the kernel, paging, and the socket layer. It caused my system to randomly hang with telnet sessions and SQLNET connections (anything tcp/ip related). After installing the patch, my machine seems to work much better.

You can do a quick test to see if you have the patch installed. If you type "netstat -i" and you see an unusually high number of input packet errors being reported, you're not running the patch.

Also, if you are using SUNSWIFT adapters (hme drivers), you may want to patch this as well (patch 105795-05).

Steven Kang
Eryx Corp.
skang_at_eryx.com