Re: How do blocks,segments,extents nad rbs and redo logs all tie together??

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 14:07:55 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Dan Roberts <roberts_d_at_bms.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Fri, 06 Nov 1998 21:14:13 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello All..I know this is quite an order to expalin this...But I am
>looking for a simple explaination..because as a newbie DBA I am running
>into problems with understanding these ideas..
>
>I am running Oracle 7.3.3.0.0 on UNIX IRIX 6.4
>My question is..how and what are blocks, segments and extents and how
>are they used by tablespaces and etc??
>
>Also how does a redo log, rollback segement work together?/For
>example..If I would like to change my SSN in my employee table how does
>the rollback and redo logs all come into play?? The redo holds the old
>information from the table while the redo log contains the new info
>before it gets written to the dbf file??.>Thnaks for any and all
>help!!!>>Dan

I suggest a reading of the Server concepts manual that comes with Oracle -- its gives a good, thorough walkthru of all of these concepts. Well worth the read.

It takes about 100 pages of text to do justice to your questions and they are all in there....

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Sat Nov 07 1998 - 08:07:55 CST