Re: HP-UX/Oracle 8 again!

From: <mpir_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 1998/11/06

In article <71tdc9$orf$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,   PittsLR_at_housing.pwh.qld.gov.au wrote:
> Sorry gurus,
>
> Obviously didn't state the request properly before. We will try again...
>
> I wish to investigate means of scheduling and synchronising shell scripts +/
> Oracle procedures, but as the environment is fairly complex (ie. may require
> bi- directional communication) I wanted to find out if others have used any
> of the following options that we are considering....
>
> Option 1. Use host OS's scheduler (cron or AT) and run a shell script which
> calls SQLPlus to initiate the stored procedure at the appropriate time. (And
> maybe using HOST to kick off other shell scripts).

We have several HP servers that take 'advantage' of cron to run shell scripts at given times. Some of these scripts check for file presense and then either execute other scripts, go to sleep or reschedule themselves. This is not our primary technique for production.

> Option 2. Use DBMS_JOB and an Oracle procedure that calls a quick and dirty C
> based external procedure that simply "exec"s the given filename as a shell
> script. (We actually wish to minimize this sort of OS-based development
> though)

I have used DBMS_JOB in the past, but not presently (other companies, etc.) At that time, it was acceptable, but no current comment.

> Option 3. Use Enterprise Manager to initiate both sides (ie. OS commands AND
> procedures) and use some method of communicating between the agents. (Any
> suggestions as to how - the documentation says that DBMS_PIPES are internal to
> Oracle).

 Not in use.
> We would be most grateful for any experiences, reports or advice,

Our current primary production tool is CA-Unicenter job control. This gives us one central point to control several servers, some HP, some IBM. Not cheap, but if affordable, worth considering.