Re: Deleting a column from table

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 01:47:44 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Phil Cook" <pncook_at_worldnet.att.net> (if that email address didn't require changing) On 7 Nov 1998 01:43:15 GMT, you wrote:

>Age-old question, no good answer yet.
>
>Two options; create a view with just the columns you want or
>drop the table and re-create. A number of ways to do this,
>one way is to export the table, create an ascii file using
>imp indexfile=xxx and then modify the xxx script. Just
>be careful if any foreign keys are pointing to the table.
>
>Maybe Oracle 9 or 10 will fix this....
>
>Phil Cook

8i :)

SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.3.0.0 - Beta on Fri Nov 6 20:43:25 1998 (c) Copyright 1998 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved. Connected to:
Oracle8 Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.3.0.0 - Beta With the Partitioning and Objects options PL/SQL Release 8.1.3.0.0 - Beta

SQL> desc emp;

 Name                            Null?    Type
 ------------------------------- -------- ----
 EMPNO                           NOT NULL NUMBER(4)
 ENAME                                    VARCHAR2(10)
 JOB                                      VARCHAR2(9)
 MGR                                      NUMBER(4)
 HIREDATE                                 DATE
 SAL                                      NUMBER(7,2)
 COMM                                     NUMBER(7,2)
 DEPTNO                                   NUMBER(2)

SQL> alter table emp drop column job;

Table altered.

SQL> desc emp

 Name                            Null?    Type
 ------------------------------- -------- ----
 EMPNO                           NOT NULL NUMBER(4)
 ENAME                                    VARCHAR2(10)
 MGR                                      NUMBER(4)
 HIREDATE                                 DATE
 SAL                                      NUMBER(7,2)
 COMM                                     NUMBER(7,2)
 DEPTNO                                   NUMBER(2)

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Fri Nov 06 1998 - 19:47:44 CST