Re: Move Oracle NT to different drive!

From: Thomas Pall <tpall_at_bga.com>
Date: 6 Nov 98 22:49:08 GMT

In Oracle a migration facility refers to taking a database from one version of Oracle (say 7.3.4) to another (say 8.0.5). So you do not want a migration facility.

Yes, you can copy your data files over to a new drive, but there are a number of problems. If you look in your init<SID>.ora file (perhaps you have a default install and yours is named iniorcl.ora?) you will see that your control files have a specific path. You might have other parameters in your init<SID>.ora which have specific paths.

The "schema" of your database is stored in your control files. That is to say the location of all your files which make up the database is recorded in your control files.

In overview terms, you would need to edit your init<SID>.ora file. Then you would have to edit a a text version of your control file which you had previously dumped to trace or create a new one from scratch, updating the paths of the files. You would have to use this to create new control files at the new location.

That done, you would need to change registry settings so that they reflect the new path.

This is not a trivial task. Although someone could list each step which needs to be done, you should have a thorough understanding of what is happening to guarantee you perform each step correctly.

Adrian Harrison (adrianh_at_globalnet.co.uk) wrote:
: I currently have Oracle 7.3 for NT installed on an NTFS partition (I:) on a SCSI drive

: I want to install a second IDE drive and know from previous experiences messing about with IDE &
: SCSI drives in the same system that Oracle's partition letter will change! - probably to O:

: Firstly is there a migration facility available to do this?

: If not and I reinstalled Oracle to the L: drive can I just copy the old datafiles across? - if so
: which ones?

: Thanks

: Adrian Harrison