Re: Oracle Instances performance?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 16:50:23 +0200

drpaner_at_intrex.net wrote in message <71uu5m$a3$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>The situation I am dealing with does not come down to inappropriate or
>incorrect use of SQL, but rather to the size of some of the schemas
employed.
> I have a total of eight schemas with 7 of them no larger than 200M. The
8th
>schema is quite large, at 1.7G. That is where most of the difficulty will
be
>coming from. Even simple queries joining a handful of tables against 1.7G
of
>data will slow down the performance of anyone attempting to run
>queries/updates against the other schemas.

Then I guess either more hardware or a new hardware platform will be required.

Another option may be parallel query - that's to say if there's any horses left in the CPU. For example, it may make sense to have a 100% CPU load for let's say a minute or two (using parallel query), than a 50% CPU load for 2 hours (using serial processing). But if the existing serial processes are redlining the CPU, then parallel query is unlike to have any benefits I think.

regards,
Billy Received on Fri Nov 06 1998 - 08:50:23 CST