Re: Mac PPP NT Oracle connection

From: Jim Pistrang <jim_at_jpcr.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 08:04:56 -0500

In article <jim-0511980854500001_at_ip71.dialup.crocker.net>, jim_at_jpcr.com (Jim Pistrang) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm setting up access from a Mac to an NT Server running Oracle. I need
> to connect two different ways....Ethernet and PPP.
>
> My Ethernet connection works fine...I can PING, ftp, and connect to the
> Oracle Server (Workgroup Server 7.3.4)
>
> My PPP connection is having problems. I can connect via PPP, PING the RAS
> IP address, PING the server IP address, and ftp. BUT...when I try to
> connect to Oracle (using NetTest) I get this error:
> 12570 TNS Packet Reader Failure

Hi all,

I figured out my problem, & I thought I'd post it here.

My PPP settings included the DNS IP addresses of my ISP, which were invalid when connecting directly to the NT (which is on an intranet, but not connected to the outside world). I cleared ALL DNS addresses from my PPP settings, and now the Oracle connection works just fine.

Jim Received on Fri Nov 06 1998 - 07:04:56 CST