Re: Renaming datafiles on 7.1/OpenVMS

From: James Petts <jpetts>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 09:16:18 GMT

On Thu, 05 Nov 1998 20:28:34 +0100, Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

>you need to rename the datafiles in the controlfile as well by issuing
>alter database rename datafile 'xyz' to 'abc'. Of course you will need
>to issue a startup nomount first (or was it mount). Anyway, the database
>will definitely not open.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear eanough. I have already copied the files using the OS commands to the appropriate places, mounted the database, and used the ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE <> to <> to change the datafiles as well.

The reason for my question about the control file is that in RevealNet's DBA knowledge base it says that if you are renaming the system tablespace, or renaming multiple tablespaces at one you should 'Alter the database to backup the control file.'

Also, when I do a hex dump of the control file I can still see the name of the original device on which the disk was stored.

However, saying that, the database will start and appears to run fine.

>Question: Does VMS still have concealed logicals for every disk? If so I
>would recommend using them instead of hardcoded disknames like dra0:. I
>had to rebuild a database once on a different system and hardcoded
>disknames was one of the biggest issues.

That is something I was wondering about. Does Oracle stop at the logical name, or will it try to resolve it to the actual device? I can't find anything about that in the documentation...

Would you recommend using concealed logigals for the disk names?

james Received on Fri Nov 06 1998 - 03:16:18 CST