Max SGA O7.1 VMS 6.2??

From: Douglas Dunyan <_at_guard>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 07:06:31 GMT

Hey there -
  Someone told me that DEC (vax) VMS 6.2 has a max working set of 32 Meg, and therefore, attempting to increase the SGA size will induce memory paging at the OS level. Does anyone know if this is accurate?

  A short summary of the scenario -
  Migrating from 7.1 on (vax) VMS 6.2 (2k block size) to   7.3.2.3.2 on (Alpha) Open Vms 7.1 (8k) block size.

Initial export trials exceed 30 hours for approximately 17GB. I have managed to tune the import (including all index builds) to approximately 8.5 hours.

The alternate option I have suggested was utilizing a database link and using 'create table as select' . Management is not willing to test that option, as we are a chain of hospitals, and, subsequently 24x7 (with minimal scheduled maintenance.) Their fear is the database link will suck the life (and bandwidth) out of the network.

I haven't attempted (yet) but can anyone tell me if 'direct path export' is worth the trial? My initial feelings are that 2k to 8k nixes that option.

Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Doug
please send copy of response to
ddunyan<spam_at_guard>samaritan.edu << remove <spam & guard> of course!! Received on Fri Nov 06 1998 - 01:06:31 CST