HP-UX/Oracle 8 again!

From: <PittsLR_at_housing.pwh.qld.gov.au>
Date: 1998/11/05

Sorry gurus,

Obviously didn't state the request properly before. We will try again...

I wish to investigate means of scheduling and synchronising shell scripts +/ Oracle procedures, but as the environment is fairly complex (ie. may require bi- directional communication) I wanted to find out if others have used any of the following options that we are considering....

Option 1. Use host OS's scheduler (cron or AT) and run a shell script which calls SQLPlus to initiate the stored procedure at the appropriate time. (And maybe using HOST to kick off other shell scripts).

Option 2. Use DBMS_JOB and an Oracle procedure that calls a quick and dirty C based external procedure that simply "exec"s the given filename as a shell script. (We actually wish to minimize this sort of OS-based development though)

Option 3. Use Enterprise Manager to initiate both sides (ie. OS commands AND procedures) and use some method of communicating between the agents. (Any suggestions as to how - the documentation says that DBMS_PIPES are internal to Oracle).

We would be most grateful for any experiences, reports or advice,

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Lachlan Pitts

home: 	 L.Pitts_at_uq.net.au
project: Pittslr_at_housing.pwh.qld.gov.au	: (07) 3224 7806

Housing Queensland
Home Purchase Assistance Unit - Loans Project Level 3, 61 Mary Street, BRISBANE 4000