Re: What's an Oracle DBA???

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 07:54:12 +0200

deltondm_at_my-dejanews.com wrote in message <71taro$leq$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>On Oracle DBA is much more than a programmer.

Which of course presents the viewpoint that programmers are down there and DBA are up there? :-)

To be honest, I'll rather take a good programmer any day and turn him or her into a DBA than using a person with a DBA title with a few year experience that knows nothing about programming. A good programmer is by nature a technical expert, fast learner, a problem solver, excels under pressure and adapts quickly. All the qualities I would think important in a DBA.

Never sell programmers short. But then they're a dying breed anyway, because not many of these Form and VB developers are real programmers - code jockeys is the word that comes to mind.

:-)
Billy Received on Thu Nov 05 1998 - 23:54:12 CST