Emergency Situation with Rollback Restore

From: <matthew_at_mattshouse.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 22:57:02 GMT

This is a very weird situation. I need to restore an Oracle database from tapes. It was not backed up properly. I picked the bits and pieces from the tape, and am now trying to create a working database. After struggling through tons of errors, I've got but one left. I can't seem to get around it. Apparently the Rollback datafile is bad. I get the error 'f:\rollbacks\rbs1orc1.ora' needs media recovery' when I start the database from svrmgr30. This is all that I have. I don't have any exports or additional copies of this file. Is there a way to make Oracle skip this file when it starts up? Can I rebuild or replace it?

Earlier I stole a rollback file (also called rbs1orc1.ora) from a different database. Oracle then told me 'invalid database id' when I replaced the bad file with the stolen one. I loaded both files into a hex editor, trying to find where Oracle keeps it's database id, but could not find it.

I'll try anything!

Matthew