Re: Renaming datafiles on 7.1/OpenVMS

From: Mark Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 5 Nov 1998 19:20:27 GMT

Did you rename the files in Oracle or only at the OS level? The alter database command includes a syntax for renaming files as does the alter tablespace command. Both of these commands will update the control file as necessary.
I have used the alter database command to take files offline so Oracle would start clean and then used other commands like alter and create tablespace to fix the damage. That would be the approach that I would take. You could get Oracle to dump the control file to text, modify it with the new filenames, and re-create the control file, but I do not recommend this approach unless you have trouble trying the other method.

James Petts <jpetts_at_celltech.co.uk> wrote in article <3641c64e.186169327_at_firewall.celltech>...