Re: Renaming datafiles on 7.1/OpenVMS

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 20:28:34 +0100

Yes,
you need to rename the datafiles in the controlfile as well by issuing alter database rename datafile 'xyz' to 'abc'. Of course you will need to issue a startup nomount first (or was it mount). Anyway, the database will definitely not open.
Question: Does VMS still have concealed logicals for every disk? If so I would recommend using them instead of hardcoded disknames like dra0:. I had to rebuild a database once on a different system and hardcoded disknames was one of the biggest issues.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA