Re: SNMP Software Missing?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 20:21:44 +0100

Which version of Oracle are you running? If 7.3.3 and higher, make sure the following applies to listener.ora and tnsnames.ora on the server:
- all keywords are in uppercase
- there is only one IPC block in the listener.ora The Oracle Intelligent Agent (OIA) is installed automatically, you don't need extra software
Under 7.3.3 and higher the OIA should start automatically , you can start it manually by issuing the command dbsnmp_start in lsnrctl. Of course the commands dbsnmp_status and dbsnmp_stop exist too. You should see two dbsnmp processes with ps -ef.
Under lower versions of Oracle you need to provide a file called snmp.ora to the $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin directory on the server. The Oracle Network Manager (provided on the windows client disk as windows 16-bit software (Yes I know)) will help you generating a correct snmp.ora. I have stumbled over configuration several times, but I managed to get it working. Please reply to the newsgroup if you experience additional problems.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA