Performance Degradation as table grows...Insert slows down

From: <kasthuri_at_viisage.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 16:41:38 GMT

hi,

I have a database of size around 132 GB. I have a table with two Image columns.The primary key includes 4 fields (char(4), char(8), char(9) and char(14)) The data, index and image columns are placed in different tablespaces. the physical memory of the system is 1GB and has 4
processors.It is a Dell Server 6100.

Insertion of a record into this table which now has 4.3 million records takes around 350 millisecs. Most of the time is spent in blob data write only. I need to insert another 6 million records into this table. With this calculation it will take me another 32 days to insert these records into the table. It will further slow down and will take around 2 secs to insert a single record as the table grows to 6 million records. (i had this table dropped and recreated because of some other problems too)

 I have some statistics too

total sga : 62089900 bytes

lib cache: .999998198
row cache: .991865393
free memory: 8921196 bytes.
The ratio of execution:misses::4995938:9 I tried increasing the SGA too. It didnt help improve the performance.

The insertion was instantaneous if i create another table. My requirement is to have a single table.

Please suggest me as to what i should to do to improve performance.The Index tablespace is rapidly growing.

I did contact oracle support also - and they are trying to help too. If any of you have come across this problem and have a solution for it, please do suggest.

Thanks
kasthuri

--

Kasthuri Jegatheesan