Re: Connect to Oracle 8/NT from MacOS client

From: Jim Pistrang <jim_at_jpcr.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 08:48:55 -0500

In article <36257BA1.6EE10BAF_at_fontworks.com>, joerg_at_fontworks.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is really all too embarrasing to ask, but then, we're desperate:
>
> We're a Mac based design company and want to store graphical design
> data in the Oracle database from MacOS clients.
>
> So we asked the sales and support people at Oracle whether this works
> and finally were told, that "YES" ist would work and we would just need
> to install this or that driver on the Mac. Being told that, we went
> ahead and bought a 10 user license of Oracle 8/NT.
>
> We got the Oracle 8 CD and there is nothing but NT driver stuff on that.
> No Mac support at all.
>
> We have installed Oracle 8/NT successfully. We have installed a test
> client configuration on an old PC running Win 95. We can connect to
> the server from that machine.
>
> We are currently not able to connect to the database server from our
> Mac's though.
>
> Has anybody in this group hints on how to proceed and what alternatives
> we have to develop client software for the database on Mac's? We've got
> all tools for C++ programming and have the know how as well, but this
> is our first database project.
>
> Do we have to use ODBC? How is ODBC's performance? Could we connect to
> the server using a TCP/IP connection and "talk clear text" to it by
> sending SQL statements and the interpret the data that is sent back to
> us? Could we use the Oracle Web interface as a base for that?
>
> Clueless remains
> Jörg

Hi Jörg,

First off, you need the Oracle Products for Power Macintosh Release 2.3 CD. The Oracle folks will send this to you if you ask (you may need to have purchased support, not sure). The CD contains the client software necessary to connect to Oracle, namely SQL*Net. Once this is installed you will be able to connect to Oracle via SQL*Net using a number of different tools, such as SQL*Plus (a simple Oracle tool, comes on the CD mentioned above), Brio Query, 4D, Omnis, etc.

I program in Omnis, which is a great environment for building complete applications. You may be able to get away with one of the simpler tools or program your own in C, that depends on your needs.

hth

Jim Received on Thu Nov 05 1998 - 07:48:55 CST