Re: One station does not find Oracl-Server

From: Tim Shute <Tshute_at_nisoft.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 09:17:14 +0000

In article <71ptl8$fb6$1_at_news02.btx.dtag.de>, Nicolas Bronke <NBronke_at_t- online.de> writes
>Thank you for your answer.
>
>1. TCP/IP is installed. The IP-address is given by a DHCP-Server.
>2. A ping works for the IP-server address. If I use the server-PC-name for
>the ping, it works also, although the ras-dialer is called first. If I make
>a ping to the domain-name (ras-dialer is also called), an errormessage is
>returned.
>
>Thank you for any additional ideas.
>
>Regards
>Nicolas
>
>>Just a couple of ideas, no definite solutions ...
>>
>>You say everything is the same, but have you checked :-
>>1. In Control Panel, Network. Is the TCP/IP protocol installed? NETBEUI
>>is installed by default, TCP/IP needs to be added.
>>2. If so, can you 'ping' the ip address / host name of the server?

Next step is to check your SQL*Net easy config.

Go through it carefully to make sure that the IP address and database name are correct. If in doubt, you could copy the tnsnames.ora from a working machine.

There's a utility (tnsping?) which will test the link, but I've never used it as I've never had any problems setting up SQL*Net, TCP/IP and 7.3.x Oracle on NT (Honest!)
--
Tim Shute
Software Engineering Manager

NiSoft (UK) Limited
Unit 8, 31 Ballynahinch Road, Carryduff, BELFAST BT8 8EH email: tshute_at_nisoft.co.uk
Internet: www.nisoft.co.uk Received on Thu Nov 05 1998 - 03:17:14 CST