Re: What's an Oracle DBA???

From: Fredrik Dohlen <fredrik.dohlen_at_visma.no>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 09:23:42 +0100

Hello,

Here are some basic roles of the Oracle DBA:

Installation of new software
Configuration of hardware and software
Security administration
Performance tuning and monitoring
Backup and recovery
Routine schedule maintenance
Troubleshooting
Failure recovery
Data analysis
Database design
Data modelling and optimization
Assisting developers
Enterprise standards and naming conventions Development of production migration procedures Environmental documentation
Consult with development team and end users Evaluation of new software
Evalutaion of new hardware and software purchases Capacity planning and sizing

This is from the book Teach Yourself Oracle 8 in 21 Days by Ed Whalen (Sams Publishing, ISBN 0-672-31159-3). It is a fine book for beginners.

Regards,
Fredrik