Re: UTL_FILE package question

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: 1998/11/04

On Wed, 04 Nov 1998 21:06:02 GMT, badstreetboy_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

>Is there a length limit to write to a file using UTL_FILE package? I tried to
>pass in a long varchar2(about 2000 characters) column and it goes to
>UTL_FILE.Write_Error exception. Any ideas? Thanks!!

Yes, actualy there is (at least in Oracle7, don't know if it changed in 8). If memory serves me right it is 1021 bytes per line for read and 1022 for write. Did you noticed from the above figures that you actualy can write a line with UTL_FILE.PUT_LINE which you later can not read with UTL_FILE.GET_LINE? :-(

>BSB
HTH,
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle7 DBA (OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Wed Nov 04 1998 - 00:00:00 CST