Re: Choosing a database for a DSS system (40-100G range)

From: Ken Chiu <kschiu_at_bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: 1998/11/04

On Wed, 04 Nov 1998 20:07:10 -0500, Eyal Kattan <enigmaREMOVE-BEFORE-REPLY_at_infomall.co.il> wrote:

>> The data is in the range of 5-10G/table, about 5-10 tables in the
>> database.

>* how many clients will be connected to the database ?

1 user, the Crystal Report Server

>* How long the rows will be ?

15-50 columns (depends on which table)

50million records per table, 16 tables for now.

>* What kind of data will you store (i.e. will you use BLOBS etc..?)

ASCII imports, i.e. Dates, Chars, Numberic

>* Do you need Parallelism or Distribution ?
>

>> The SQLs will be lots of GROUP, SUM, COUNT and JOINTS.
>>
>> NT + SQL server 7
>> NT + Oracle 8
>> NT + DB2
>> AIX + DB2
>> SUN + Oracle
>>
>and there is also....... OS/2 + DB2

There is noone in our shop that knows OS/2 well enough to stick his neck out... =)

>I wouldn't trust NT to handle such size of database.

I know, but it seems to be cheap to start with.. but might eventually get myself burnt!?

Thanks in adv,

Ken Received on Wed Nov 04 1998 - 00:00:00 CST