Personal Oracle / Lite - Development?

From: <dperez_at_juno_nospam.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 02:53:05 GMT

Unfortunately, I haven't been babysitting the Oracle on my standalone system every day for the last 3 months, so it now doesn't work... I stuck a note in here earlier - hopefully somebody can help me get this thing working again...

BUT, I've got several versions of Oracle, and I'm wondering if I'd be better just going a different route...

I have a copy of Oracle on NT 4.0 V 3.0 (which I THINK is 8.0.3?). If I install this thing, does it have ANYTHING more intelligent than V7 did as far as GUARANTEEING the thing will come up, and the network ON MY STANDALONE SYSTEM will ACTUALLY WORK without spending HOURS on the phone with Oracle trying to get everything to work? Heaven forbid, is there ANY chance the thing is smart enough to KNOW its a standalone system and not REQUIRE all the network screwing around?

If not, I have a copy of Oracle Lite 3.0.5.1.6 or a copy of Personal Oracle Lite V 2.4.3.1.1. Would EITHER of these SUCCESSFULLY install on Win 95, WORK CORRECTLY as far as coming up, letting me connect from SQL, Forms, and Reports, and DO NORMAL DEVELOPMENT - triggers, stored procedures, procedures in forms and reports, etc - standard, normal development in Dev 2000...

Failing ALL this, I can try to download Personal Oracle from the website, but the odds of getting it successfully are almost non-existent... BUT if necessary, and IF it'll actually WORK, and WORK CORRECTLY without hours or days of screwing around trying to get something as trivial and stupid as a TNS service to work or a listener.ora file right, it MIGHT be worth it...

Ideas? Received on Wed Nov 04 1998 - 20:53:05 CST