Performance degradation

From: <abeal_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 23:01:32 GMT

We have an Oracle database running on Solaris 2.6 using Oracle 7.3.3 with typically 1100 concurrent connections many of which are idle most of the time. However, recently we started experiencing severe database degradation where the database slows to a crawl. One of the DBA was able to observe a high number of enqueues, library cache latches, and high number of shared pool latches. When the degradation happens, it is usually so severe that they have to shutdown the database and restart it.

I have a lot of posts in this newsgroup with similiar problems, and I would like to hear suggestions of things to look at or things to try.

alan