Re: Oracle Export Utility!!

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 11:03:31 +0200

rahulpr_at_my-dejanews.com wrote in message <71ogh0$9uv$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>I desperately need help/ideas with the export utility across a network. My
>application uses oracle8 on sco-unix on the server side and developer 2000
at
>the client side.I have to create an export file of specific tables on the
>server side(in one user`s schema) and import it on to the client(into
another
>user`s schema).The first problem is that this process has to be initiated
>from a form on the client and the second and major problem is that export
is
>unavailable on the client side and has to be somehow invoked on the
>server.I`m clueless on how to go about this!! This is very urgent so please
>help me with this!

Ours is not to reason why, but to implement the damn requirements and make it work...

OK, there's 2 methods IMO and I'm ignoring Forms (hehehe):

  1. Execute the export on the server and use FTP to retrieve the data: There's a couple of ways the export can be started. You can use RSH or REXEC "protocol" to fire up the export on the server, or resort to using something like Pro*C program that sits on the server and then talk to this program via DBMS pipes. It can then fire up the export, look after it and tell you when it's done. FTP client can be built into the client application - it's not a difficult protocol and there are also ActiveX controls and native libraries available that can be used. Even better maybe to use the new Microsoft Internet API - it's a very high level API (almost at macro level) that supports things like connecting to a FTP or Web Server and retrieving a file or a URL.
  2. Execute the local export program on the client and pull the data across the network (no FTP required). Use the CREATEPROCESS API call in Windows to fire up the export, redirect STDOUT to a logfile and when the export is done read the logfile and do whatever error processing is required.

Now you have the export file on the local PC. To import it you use method 2 above and only change the process to run from an export to an import.

Now in Delphi <here it comes - didn't really believe I let this one pass!>, this will be -very- easy to do, using either of the above methods. But when it comes to these goofy tools (will not insult Mickey Mouse this time) like Forms and VB.... Oh well. ;-)

Hopes this help!

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Nov 04 1998 - 03:03:31 CST