Re: A PL/SQL compiler bug?

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 08:23:44 GMT

On 3 Nov 1998 23:04:35 GMT, Madhu Cherukuri <Madhu.Cherukuri_at_usa.net> wrote:

>Try enclosing loop label like this
> <<if>>
>
>Madhu Cherukuri

You can't enclose loop labels the way you sugested at the end of a loop. Your sugestion is a proper sintax for labeling the begining of the loop, but for refering this label at the end of the loop you must use label name without brackets. Note that you can refer to nonexisting label at the end of a loop (that is, even if you didn't define a label at the begining of the loop you are allowed to put a nonexisting label name in an END LOOP statement).

Thanks anyway for a suggestion.

>Jurij Modic wrote:
>
>> I think I encountered a bug in PL/SQL compiler. I tested this on
>> versions 7.3.4 and 7.3.2. The exmples I provide here are extremely
>> simplified, but the real consequences can be quite harmfull.
>> ...[SNIP]...
>> SQL> BEGIN
>> 2 FOR i IN 1..10 LOOP
>> 3 NULL;
>> 4 END LOOP if;
>> 5 END;
>> 6 /
>> END LOOP if;
>> *
>> ERROR at line 4:
>> ORA-06550: line 4, column 12:
>> PLS-00103: Encountered the symbol "IF" when expecting one of the
>> following:
>> ; <an identifier> <a double-quoted delimited-identifier>
>> The symbol "IF" was ignored.

Regards,
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle7 DBA (OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Wed Nov 04 1998 - 02:23:44 CST