Re: How to deploy a 24hrs , 7 days a week kind of database environment?

From: <nasof_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 00:32:42 GMT

Well I guess we differ on what's funny.

I'm working "as a consultant" on a multi-million dollar project to place a 24x7 NT solution in 3 of NY's major airports.

I apologize, but I get a little irritated when I run across a post that offers no content, and only snide comments. I've implemented systems on VMS, UNIX and NT and have found the major difference to be that NT systems are greatly abused.

Unfortunately, they are very easy to install and many software packages run on them. Clients try to get by on weak machines, install every app in the world on them and neglect hiring a professional to maintain them. This obviously leads to problems. But if you only install the OS, a database and a server application on a well tuned, sufficently sized machine, you have about as many problems as a VAX or UNIX box. I will have to agree that UNIX has NT beat hands down when you want to scale over 8+ cpus.

To the original poster: the following site offers some concrete facts about NT vs. UNIX that are much more informative than Martin's. Be aware though, this sites main focus is "Why Unix is much better than NT." Keep an open mind while viewing.

           http://www.unix-vs-nt.org

All I ask is that we speak from a standpoint of knowledge and experience to help others like the original poster make an informed decision, not one based on ignorance. I doubt the orignal poster took their time to ask this question hoping for a few sarcastic remarks.

-Frank