Re: Index nearing maxextents

From: Thomas Pall <tpall_at_bga.com>
Date: 3 Nov 98 22:43:33 GMT

For index storage, use dba_indexes. For the columns in the index, use dba_ind_columns. There is one row in dba_ind_columns for each column in the index.

Note that on export/import, Oracle will put the table into one initial extent if you use compress=y. It will not, however, change the storage for indexes on the table.

Steve Jaspar (sjaspar_at_sacbee.com) wrote:
: Greetings -

: I have an index that is nearing its maxextents. I'm not sure which is the
: best way to handle this:

: 1. export and re-import the table
: 2. drop and re-create the index

: I don't have the option of REBUILDing the index - we're running Oracle
: 7.1.xx and REBUILD is 7.3 and later.

: On a related note, is there a simple way to see the structure of the index,
: i.e. which columns are being indexed, initial extent and next extents sizes,
: etc.?

: Any advice will be most appreciated.

: Steve J.