Re: How to deploy a 24hrs , 7 days a week kind of database environment?

From: <satar_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 22:33:39 GMT

Hey Frank, I believe Martin was being Sarcastic (but not too far off the truth). Actually, I got a kick out of his post. Actually, as a consultant, I would never put a 24x7 database, which can't afford down time, on an NT system. Even Microsoft's web servers are on UNIX boxes. It is a known fact that NT boxes have to be "bounced" more times than a Unix server. As far as "Big Databases" on an NT platform, will I have to know what is your definition of "big". Also, I have heard no negative experiences of running a "big" database on an NT box, so I can't comment on that.

Anyway Frank...A little humor is not bad, just because we work with computers doesn't mean we are one. ;)

Satar

In article <71ni6i$r7v$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,   nasof_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> > >Can Oracle running on NT server have this type of reliability?
> >
> > Oracle can, but I'd be surprised if you can run a big system on NT for more
> > than 24 minutes without it falling over. Unix bigots of the world unite.....
> >
> > Cheers
> > Martin
> >

> That's funny, because I have implemented 24x7 failover systems for both Unix
> and NT and have more luck (and uptime) with NT. Do you speak from a
> standpoint of experience or simple ignorance?
>
> This is a professional forum where adults discuss serious technology issues.
> If you have something positive to contribute please do, otherwise keep your
> predudices and childish attitude to yourself.
>
> -Frank

Oracle DBA/UNIX System Admin
Advanced Enterprise Solutions
(949) 756-0588