Re: Error:no swap space to grow stack (solaris)

From: B.Sc Yassir Khogaly <yassir_at_khogaly.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 21:29:45 -0000

This is UNIX admin article which should help you ..!

Article-ID:         <Note:15566.1>          Revision: 0          PUBLIC
Circulation:        ** PUBLIC **
Creator:            RPOWELL
Folder:             platform.Unix
Topic:              * Database Administration
Subject:            TECH:  Unix Semapores and Shared Memory Explained
Modified:           06 Oct 94 12:54:36
Attachments:        NONE

Author:        Kevin Irwin  (30/3/94)

            Understanding Oracle and Shared Memory/Semaphores

Shared memory and semaphores are two important resources for an Oracle instance on Unix. An instance cannot start if it is unable to allocate what it needs. This paper primarily discusses the process Oracle goes through
to allocate shared memory and semaphores at instance startup. Other important points unrelated to startup as well as some troubleshooting information will be touched.

General

Shared memory is exactly that - a memory region that can shared between different processes. Oracle uses shared memory for implementing the SGA, which needs to be visible to all database sessions. Shared memory is also used in the implementation of the SQL*Net V1 Fast driver as a means of communicating between the application and shadow process. On the RS/6000, each shadow process stores its PGA in a shared memory segment (however, only the shadow attaches this segment). In the latter two cases, Oracle allocates the shared memory dynamically as opposed to the allocation of the SGA, which occurs at instance startup. This allocation will not be discussed in this paper.

Semaphores can be thought of as flags (hence their name, semaphores). They are either on or off. A process can turn on the flag or turn it off. If the flag is already on, processes who try to turn on the flag will sleep until the flag is off. Upon awakening, the process will reattempt to turn the flag on, possibly suceeding or possibly sleeping again. Such behaviour allows semaphores to be used in implementing a post-wait driver - a system where processes can wait for events (i.e. wait on turning on a semphore) and post events (i.e. turning of a semaphore). This mechanism is used by Oracle to maintain concurrency control over the SGA, since it is writeable by all processes attached. Also, for the same reasons, use of the Fast Driver requires additional semaphores. However, these semaphores will be allocated dynamically instead of at instance startup. This allocation will not be discussed in this paper.

Instance startup
  On instance startup, the first things that are done are: read the   init<SID>.ora, start the background processes, and allocate the   shared memory and semphores required. The size of the SGA will be   calculated from various init.ora parameters; this will be the amount   of shared memory required. The SGA is broken into 4 sections - the   fixed portion, which is constant in size, the variable portion, which   varies in size depending on init.ora parameters, the redo block   buffer, which has its size controlled by log_buffers, and the db   block buffer, which has its size controlled by db_block_buffers.   The size of the SGA is the sum of the sizes of the 4 portions.   There is unfortunately no simple formula for determining the size   of the variable portion. Generally, the shared pool dominates all   other parts of the variable portion, so as a rule of thumb, one can   estimate the size as the value of shared_pool_size (in v6, one can   ignore the size of the variable portion). The number of semphores   required is much simpler to determine. Oracle will need exactly as   many semaphores as the value of the processes init.ora parameter.   Note that the recommended kernel parameter values in the ICG are enough   to support the default database (4M SGA, 50 processes), but may be   insufficient to run a larger instance. With the above estimations and the   information which follows, a DBA should be able to build a kernel with   appropriate settings to support the instance.

Shared memory allocation

  Oracle has 3 different possible models for the SGA - one-segment,   contiguous multi-segment, and non-contiguous multi-segment.   When attempting to allocate and attach shared memory for the SGA, it   will attempt each one, in the above order, until one succeeds or raises   an ORA error. On other, non-fatal, errors, Oracle simply cleans up and   tries again using the next memory model. The entire SGA must fit into   shared memory, so the total amount of shared memory allocated under any   model will be equal to the size of the SGA. This calculated value will   be referred to below as SGASIZE.

  The one-segment model is the simplest and first model tried. In this   model, the SGA resides in only one shared memory segment. Oracle attempts   to allocate and attach one shared memory segement of size equal to total   size of the SGA. However, if the SGASIZE is larger than the configured   SHMMAX, this will obviously fail (with EINVAL). In this case, the SGA will
  need to be placed in multiple shared memory segments, and Oracle proceeds   to the next memory model for the SGA. If an error other than EINVAL occurs
  when allocating the shared memory with shmget(), Oracle will raise an   ORA-7306. If the segment was gotten (i.e. if SHMMAX > SGASIZE), Oracle   attempts to attach it at the start address defined in ksms.o. An error   on the attach will raise an ORA-7307.

  With multiple segments, there are two possibilities. The segments   can be attached contiguously, so that it appears to be one large   shared memory segment, or non-contiguously, with gaps between the   segments. The former wastes less space that could be used for the stack   or heap, but depending on alignment requirements for shared memory
(defined by SHMLBA in the kernel), it may not be possible.
  At this point, Oracle needs to determine SHMMAX so it can determine how many
  segments will be required. This is done via a binary search   algorithm over the range [1...SGASIZE] (since Oracle is trying this   model and not the one segment model it must be that SHMMAX<SGASIZE)   The value of SHMMAX calculated will then be rounded to an even page size
(on some machines, possibly to an even 2 or 4 page block).

  In the contiguous segment model, Oracle simply divides the SGA into   SGASIZE/SHMMAX (rounded down) segments of size SHMMAX plus another segment   of size SGASIZE modulo SHMMAX. If more than SS_SEG_MAX segments are   required total, an ORA-7329 is raised. It then allocates and attaches   one segment at a time, attaching the first segment at the start address   defined in ksms.o. Subsequent segments are attached at an address equal   to the previous segment's attach address plus the size of the previous   segment so that they are contiguous in memory. For example, if SHMMAX   is 2M, SGASIZE is 5M, and the start address is 0xd0000000, there would   be 3 segments, 2 of 2M and 1 of 1M. They would be attached at 0xd0000000,   0xd0000800 (0xd0000000+2M), and 0xd0001000 (0xd0000800+2M). If Oracle   receives an error allocating a shared memory segment, an ORA-7336 is raised.
  If an error is raised on attaching a shared memory segement, Oracle checks   the system error returned. If it is EINVAL, the attach address used is most
  likely badly aligned (not a mulitple of SHMLBA). In this case, Oracle tries
  the next model for SGA allocation, non-contiguous segments. Otherwise, an   ORA-7337 is raised.

  The last model Oracle will try is the non-contiguous model. Here   things become a bit more complicated. After calculating SHMMAX, Oracle   first checks to see if it can put the fixed and variable portion into   one shared memory segment just large enough to hold the two portions   If it can, it allocates a segment just big enough to hold both portions.   If it cannot, it will put them each into their own seperate segment just   large enough to hold each portion. If the fixed portion is larger than   SHMMAX, an ORA-7330 will be raised. If the variable portion is larger   than SHMMAX, an ORA-7331 will be raised. Then Oracle computes the number   of redo block buffers it can fit in a segment (rounded down to an   integral number of buffers - buffers cannot overlap segments). An ORA-7332
  is raised is SHMMAX is smaller than the size of a redo block. Similarly,   the number of db block buffers per segment is calculated, with an ORA-7333   raised if SHMMAX is too small to hold one db block. Then Oracle can compute
  the total number of segments required for both the redo and database block   buffers. This will be buffers/buffers per segment (rounded down) segments   and one (if necessary) of buffers modulo buffers per segment size, calculated
  seperately for both the redo and db block buffers. These segments will be   of a size just large enough to hold the buffers (so no space is wasted).   The total number of segments allocated will then be the number needed for   the fixed and variable portions (1 or 2) plus the number needed for the   redo block buffers plus the number of segments needed for the database block
  buffers. If this requires more than SS_SEG_MAX segments, an ORA-7334 is   raised. Once the number of segments and their sizes is determined, Oracle   then allocates and attaches the segments one at a time; first the fixed   and variable portion segment(s), then the redo block buffer segment(s),   then the db block buffer segment(s). They will be attached non-contiguously,
  with the first segment attached at the start address in ksms.o and following
  segments being attached at the address equal to the attach address of the   previous segment plus the size of the previous segment, rounded up to a   mulitple of SHMBLA. If Oracle receives an error allocating a shared memory
  segment, an ORA-7336 is raised. If an error is raised on attaching a shared
  memory segement, Oracle checks the system error returned. If it is EINVAL,
  normally, another model would be tried, but as there are no more models to   try, an ORA-7310 is raised. Other attach errors raise an ORA-7337.

  At this point, we have either attached the entire SGA or returned an   ORA error. The total size of segments attached is exactly SGASIZE;   no space is wasted. Once Oracle has the shared memory attached, Oracle   proceeds to allocating the semaphores it requires.

Semaphore allocation
  Semaphore allocation is much simpler than shared memory. Oracle just   needs to allocate a number of semaphores equal to the processes parameter   in init.ora. PROCESSES will be used to refer to this value. Note on   machines with a post-wait kernel extension, Oracle does not need to allocate
  semaphores (because it doesn't need to implement its own post-wait mechanism).

  If the environment variable ORANSEMS is set, Oracle will use that value   as the number it will allocate per set. Oracle will attempt to allocate   one set of size ORANSEMS. If this fails, an ORA-7250 is raised. If   ORANSEMS is not set, Oracle tries to determine the maximum number of   semaphores allowed per set (SEMMSL). It does this by first trying to   allocate a set of PROCESSES semaphores. If this fails with EINVAL, it   tries again, this time trying to get one fewer semaphore. If a different   error is received, an ORA-7279 is raised. This process continues until   either the semget() succeeds, or when the number of semaphores Oracle is   attempting to allocate drops to zero. If the latter case occurs, an   ORA-7251 will be raised. Now Oracle begins allocating sets of size SEMMSL
(or ORANSEMS, as the case may be) until it has at least PROCESSES
semaphores.
  All semaphore sets will be the same size, so if PROCESSES is not a multiple
  of SEMMSL (or ORANSEMS), there will be additional semaphores allocated that
  will not be used (or in other words, PROCESSES/SEMMSL, rounded up, sets of   SEMMSL semaphores will be allocated). Should an error occur trying to   allocate a semaphore set, ORA-7252 will be raised. If more than SS_SEM_MAX
  semaphore sets would be required, an ORA-7339 occurs.

  At this point, Oracle has either allocated at least PROCESSES semaphores   or returned an ORA error. All IPC resources required by Oracle on Unix   have been allocated and the related information can be written into the   sgadef file for this instance for later use by other processes which connect
  to the instance.

Connecting to an instance

  All shadow processes, when starting, attempt to attach the SGA. Shadows   will be started whenever there is a logon attempt (the connect command   includes an implicit logoff, so it produces a new shadow). The only   exception is sqldba in version 7 which immediately spawns a shadow process   and where connect commands do not spawn a new shadow. Also, since sqldba   is used to start up the database, errors encountered in attempting to attach
  the SGA will be discarded because the SGA may not have been allocated yet.   When a startup command is issued later, the SGA and semaphores will be   allocated. Note that this applies only to version 7 and sqldba.

  What Oracle does when attempting to connect to the SGA depends on the   version of Oracle. In version 6, the sgadef<SID>.dbf file is used to   get the necessary information. In version 7, the SGA itself contains   the information about the shared memory and semaphores (how the   bootstrap works will be explained later). In either case, the   information stored is the same - the key, id, size, and attach   address of each shared memory segment and the key, id, and size of   each semaphore set. Note that we need not do anything special to   initialize the semaphores. We can use them with the data structure   we read in on connecting.

  The version 6 approach is rather simple. It first tries to open the   sgadef<SID>.dbf file. If it cannot, an ORA-7318 is raised. Once   opened, the data written earlier on startup is read. If an error   occurs for some reason on the read, an ORA-7319 occurs. Once all the   data is read in, Oracle attaches each segment in turn. First, it   generates what it believes the key for the segment should be. It   then gets that segment, returning ORA-7429 if it fails. The key used   and the key stored are then compared. They should be equal, but if   not, an ORA-7430 occurs. Once the key is verified, the segment is   attached. A failure to attach the segment raises an ORA-7320. If   the segment is attached, but not at the address we requested, an   ORA-7321 occurs. This process is repeated for all segments until the   entire SGA is attached.

  Version 7 differs only in the first part, when the shared memory and   semaphore data is read. Once that data is read in, Oracle proceeds in   the same manner. To fetch this data, Oracle generates what it thinks   should be the key for the first segment of the SGA and attaches it,   as if it were the only segment. Once it is attached, the data is   copied from the SGA. With this data, Oracle attaches any remaining   segments for the SGA. There is one possible problem. If somehow two   instances have a key collision (i.e. they both generate the same key   for their first se
  instances up at a time! Connection attempts to either one will   connect a user to whichever instance is up. This is rare, but can   happen. Development is currently working on a better key generation   algorithm.

Attaching shared memory

  As seen in previous sections, shared memory must be gotten (this may   mean allocating the shared memory, but not necessarily) and then   attached, to be used. Attaching shared memory brings the shared   memory into the process' memory space. There are some important   things about attach addresses. For one thing, they may need to be   alligned on some boundary (generally defined by SHMLBA). More   importantly, shared memory must mapped to pages in the process'   memory space which are unaccounted for. Every process already has a   text, a data, and a stack segment laid out as follows (in general):

               +---------+  high addresses
               |  stack  |
               |---------| -+
               |    |    |  |
               |    v    |  |
               |---------|  |
               |---------|  |  These are valid pages for shared memory
               |    ^    |  |  Pages are allocated from this area
               |    |    |  |  as both the stack and heap(data) grow
               |---------| -+
               |   data  |
               |---------|
               |   text  |
               +---------+  low addresses

  So valid attach addresses lie in the unused region between the stack   and the data segments (a shared memory segment is drawn in the   diagram to aid in visualization - not every process has shared memory   attached!). Of course, the validity also depends on the   size of the segment, since it cannot overlap another segment. Note   that both the stack and data segments can grow during the life of a   process. Because segments must be contiguous and overlapping is not   allowed, this is of some importance. Attaching shared memory creates   a limit on how much the stack or data segment can grow. Limiting the   stack is typically not a problem, except when running deeply   recursive code. Neither is limiting the data segment, but this does   restrict the amount memory that can be dynamically allocated by a   program. It is possible (but seldom) that some applications   running against the database may hit this limit in the shadow (since   the shadow has the SGA attached). This is the cause of ORA-7324 and   ORA-7325 errors. How to deal with these is discussed in the   troubleshooting section.

  The SGA is attached, depending on the allocation model used, more or   less contiguously (there may be gaps, but those can be treated as if   they were part of the shared memory). So where the beginning of the   SGA can be attached depends on the SGA's size. The default address   which is chosen by Oracle is generally sufficient for most SGAs.   However, it may be necessary to relocate the SGA for very large   sizes. It may also need to be changed if ORA-7324 or ORA-7325 errors   are occuring. The beginning attach address is defined in the file   ksms.s. Changing the attach address requires recompilation of the   Oracle kernel and should not be done without first consulting Oracle   personnel. Unfortunately, there is no good way to determine what a good   attach address will be. When changing the address to allow a larger SGA, a
  good rule of thumb is taking the default attach address in ksms.s and   subtracting the size of the SGA. The validity of an attach address   can be tested with the Oracle provided tstshm executable. Using   tstshm -t <size of SGA> -b <new attach address>   will determine if the address is usable or not.

Trouble shooting

  Errors which might have multiple causes are discussed in this   sections. Errors not mentioned here generally have only one cause   which has a typically obvious solution.

ORA-7306, ORA-7336, ORA-7329
Oracle received a system error on a shmget() call. The system error should be reported. There are a few possibilities: 1) There is insufficient shared memory available. This is indicated by the operating system error ENOSPC. Most likely, SHMMNI is too small. Alternatively, there may shared memory already allocated; if it is not attached, perhaps it can be freed. Maybe shared memory isn't configured in the kernel. 2) There is insufficient memory available. Remember, shared memory needs pages of virtual memory. The system error ENOMEM indicates there is insufficient virtual memory. Swap needs to be increased, either by adding more or by freeing currently used swap (i.e. free other shared memory, kill other processes)
3) The size of the shared memory segment requested is invalid. In this case, EINVAL is returned by the system. This should be very rare - however, it is possible. This can occur if SHMMAX is not a mulitple of page size and Oracle is trying a multi-segment model. Remember that Oracle rounds its calculation of SHMMAX to a page boundary, so it may have rounded it up past the real SHMMAX! (Whether this is a bug is debatable).
4) The shared memory segment does not exist. This would be indicated by the system error ENOENT. This would never happen on startup; it only would happen on connects. The shared memory most likely has been removed unexpectedly by someone or the instance is down.

ORA-7307, ORA-7337, ORA-7320
Oracle received a system error on a shmat() call. The system should be reported. There a a few possibilities: 1) The attach address is bad. If this is the cause, EINVAL is returned by the system. Refer to the section on the attach address to see why the attach address might be bad. This may happen after enlarging the SGA.
2) The permissions on the segment do not allow the process to attach it. The operating system error will be EACCES. Generally the cause of this is either the setuid bit is not turned on for the oracle executable, or root started the database (and happens to own the shared memory). Normally, this would be seen only on connects. 3) The process cannot attach any more shared memory segments. This would be accompanieed by the system error EMFILE. SHMSEG is too small. Note that as long as SHMSEG is greater than SS_SEG_MAX, you should never see this happen.

ORA-7329, ORA-7334
Oracle has determined the SGA needs too many shared memory segments. Since you
can't change the limit on the number of segments, you should instead increase
SHMMAX so that fewer segments are required.

ORA-7339
Oracle has determined it needs too many semaphore sets. Since you can't change the limit on the number of semaphore sets, you should increase SEMMSL so fewer sets are required.

ORA-7250, ORA-7279, ORA-7252
Oracle received a system error on a semget() call. The system error should be
reported. There should be only one system error ever returned with this, ENOSPC. This can mean one of two things. Either the system limit on sempahore sets has been reached or the system limit on the total number of semaphores has been reached. Raise SEMMNI or SEMMNS, as is appropriate, or perhaps there are some semaphore sets which can be released. In the case of ORA-7250, ORANSEMS may be set too high (>SEMMSL). If it is, raise SEMMSL or decrease ORANSEMS.

ORA-7251
Oracle failed to allocate even a semaphore set of only one semaphore. It is likely that semaphores are not configured in the kernel.

ORA-7318
Oracle could not open the sgadef file. The system error number will be returned. There are a few possible causes: 1) The file doesn't exist. In this case, the system error ENOENT is returned. Maybe ORACLE_SID or ORACLE_HOME is set wrong so that Oracle is looking in the wrong place. Possibly the file does not exist (in this case, a restart is necessary to allow connections again).
2) The file can't be accessed for reading. The operating system error returned
with this is EACCES. The permissions on the file (or maybe directories) don't allow an open for reading of the sgadef file. It might not be owned by the oracle owner. The setuid bit might not be turned on for the oracle executable.

ORA-7319
Oracle did not find all the data it expected when reading the sgadef<SID>.dbf file. Most likely the file has been truncated. The only recovery is to restart the instance.

ORA-7430
Oracle expected a key to be used for the segment which does not match the key stored in the shared memory and semaphore data structure. This probably indicates a corruption of the sgadef file (in version 6) or the data in the first segment of the SGA (in version 7). A restart of the instance is probably necessary to recover in that case. It may also be a key collision problem and Oracle is attached to the wrong instance.

ORA-7321
Oracle was able to attach the segment, but not at the address it requested. In most cases, this would be caused by corrupted data in the sgadef file (in version 6) or the first segment of the SGA (in version 7). A restart of the database may be necessary to recover.

ORA-7324, ORA-7325
Oracle was unable to allocate memory. Most likely, the heap (data segment) has grown into the bottom of the SGA. Relocating the SGA to a higher attach address may help, but there may be other causes. Memory leaks can cause this error. The init.ora parameter sort_area_size may be too large, decreasing it may resolve the error. The init.ora parameter context_incr may also be too large, decreasing it may resolve this

ORA-7264, ORA-7265
Oracle was unable to decrement/increment a semaphore. This generally is accompanied by the system error EINVAL and a number which is the identifier of the semaphore set. This is almost always because the semaphore set was removed, but the shadow process was not aware of it (generally due to a shutdown abort or instance crash). This error is usually ignorable.

System Parameters

SHMMAX - kernel parameter controlling maximum size of one shared memory

         segment
SHMMHI - kernel parameter controlling maximum number of shared memory segments

         in the system
SHMSEG - kernel parameter controlling maximum number of shared memory segments

         a process can attach
SEMMNS - kernel parameter controlling maximum number of semphores in

         the system
SEMMNI - kernel parameter controlling maximum number of semaphore

         sets. Semphores in Unix are allocated in sets of 1 to SEMMSL. SEMMSL - kernel parameter controlling maximum number of semaphores in a

         semphore set.
SHMLBA - kernel parameter controlling alignment of shared memory

         segments; all segments must be attached at multiples of this value.
         Typically, non-tunable.

System errors

ENOENT - No such file or directory, system error 2
ENOMEM - Not enough core, system error 12
EACCES - Permission denied, system error number 13
EINVAL - Invalid argument, system error number 22
EMFILE - Too many open files, system error number 24
ENOSPC - No space left on device, system error number 28

Oracle parameters

SS_SEG_MAX - Oracle parameter specified at compile time (therefore,

             unmodifiable without an Oracle patch) which defines maximum
             number of segements the SGA can reside in.  Normally set to 20.
SS_SEM_MAX - Oracle parameter specified at compile time (therefore,
             unmodifiable without an Oracle patch) which defined maximum
             number of semaphore sets oracle will allocate.  Normally set to
10.

Jan Dolman wrote in message <363f88e8.118373_at_news.a2000.nl>...

>Probably a Unix issue, but nevertheless:
>
>When my databases auto-started at 06:00 this mornig, the server
>console popped up (and kept repeating) this error message:
>
>WARNING: Sorry, no swap space to grow stack for pid 11985 (oracle)
>
>As we were unable to login at the console and we were unable to
>connect using a telnet session, I do not know what process 11985 is.
>
>We had to restart the server, after which everything was fine again.
>As I am not too keen about an enture server locking up, I would like
>to know if anybody out there is familiar with this problem.
>
>Regards,
>Jan

begin 666 Yassir Khogaly.vcf
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`` `
end Received on Tue Nov 03 1998 - 15:29:45 CST