Theory of ANSI and modifying columns

From: Doug Cowles <dcowles_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 15:35:58 -0500

This one's a bit theoretical but I'm curious...

I just heard that no database vendor (including Oracle) has any plans to implement
functionality to modify the names of database columns. This is because it conflicts
with the thinking of ANSI. I'm just curious, is this because it conflicts with pure
relational theory? (if so , how), or is there some more practical reason.