Re: Help on Migration from Unix to NT

From: Steve McAreavey <stephen.mcareavey_at_bt.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 14:12:10 -0000

Sanjay,

Running a full export should not be a problem as long as you precreate all of the tablespaces beforehand. I would take a full export as SYSTEM and do the following:

  1. View the first few pages of your export file on the UNIX system using more or vi and make a note of the tablespace definitions that have been exported. You could also do this with a 'grep "CREATE TABLESPACE" expdat.dmp
    > create_script.sql' style command.
  2. On your NT box, precreate each tablespace to the necessary size, but choose filesystem locations compatible with NT.
  3. Run the import as SYSTEM. The CREATE TABLESPACE commands will fail and generate an error, but your tables, indexes and other objects should import into the precreated tablespaces anyway, assuming you did not leave any out. Note I only have experience of command line imports on the server - I don't know if the GUI tools are usable for this.
  4. Optionally, if you have a lot of views and/or procedures, run the import again ensuring that the rows=n and ignore=y command line parameters are set. This should revalidate/recreate any objects that failed due to the import order. If you don't use these, then this step may not be necessary.
  5. You will probably have to run catalog.sql, catproc.sql again - please consult your migration documentation and yer done!

HTH Steve