Re: Remove "Gateway Service for Netware" stops "OracleTNSListener" starting!

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 08:01:18 +0200

Adrian Harrison wrote in message <363e0a33.6355018_at_news.globalnet.co.uk>...

>NT 4 server (sp3), oracle 7.3
>TCP/IP, Netbios & IPX

>I'm trying to remove the "Gateway Service for Netware" service & IPX
protocol
>After removing this service & rebooting - connect using SQL Plus using
"m/n_at_p300"
>on the command line! - doesn't work! <snipped>
>If I reinstall the service - it works again!

>What the hells going on! surely Oracle doesn't need IPX!

Well it does if it's configured to use IPX. Oracle supports various protocols, but for us in the Unix and WinNT environment, the following three are important. TCP, IPX and pipes. Now pipes is not really a protocol, but more like a communication method (like Sockets) as you can run pipes on IP and on NetBEUI.

When you install Oracle it prompts you to select the protocol adapters you wish to have installed. It also does an auto protocol check and by default ticks the adapter for installation if you have that protocol installed. So if you have IPX running, Oracle will by default install the IPX protocol adapter. Ditto for NetBEUI pipes and TCP/IP.

When Oracle creates your default LISTENER.ORA file, it includes connections for all protocols you have. So it will create a listener to listen on both TCP and IPX if you have both protocols installed.

My guess is that you accepted the defaults in the Oracle installation and Oracle quite nicely configured itself to use both TCP and IPX. Currently your P300.WORLD alias configured in the TNSNAMES.ORA file uses the IPX protocol and not the TCP protocol.

But then of course, I can be totally wrong and it's because of sunspot activity influencing earth's magnectic field... :-)

regards,
Billy Received on Tue Nov 03 1998 - 00:01:18 CST