Re: svrmgrl error - ORA-1031 insufficient privileges

From: Tommy Cusan <tcusan_at_id.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 11:04:05 -0800

Hello,
These are the step-by-step instructions for recreating a password file on Windows NT. This can be necessary if you are unable to connect to your database using the internal password (ORA-1031) or, if you need to change the internal password for security reasons.

Note: If your database version is 8.0.x, SVRMGRXX = SVRMGR30

                                                            ORAPWDXX = ORAPWD80
       If your database version is 7.3.x, SVRMGRXX = SVRMGR23
                                                         ORAPWDXX = ORAPWD73

  1. Check the value for parameter REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE.

    This can be accomplished by checking the parameter setting     in your INIT<SID>.ORA or by querying the database.

    To query the database, connect through SVRMGRXX using a dba     account such as SYSTEM. Enter command:

         SHOW PARAMETER REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE 2. If the value of this parameter is EXCLUSIVE then you must shutdown

    your database before recreating the password file.

    If the value of this parameter = SHARED then you may proceed     with password file creation - Step 3.

3. Delete the current password file %ORACLE_HOME%\DATABASE\PWD<SID>.ORA.

    If you can't find this file it may have a hidden attribute which     is preventing you from accessing it. Set your Windows NT Explorer     VIEW > OPTIONS to SHOW ALL FILES.

4. To create a new password file, enter the following from a command

    prompt:

    ORAPWDXX FILE=%ORACLE_HOME%\DATABASE\PWD<SID>.ORA PASSWORD=%NEW PASSWORD%

5. If your database autostarts when you reboot, you will need to

    change the value of the password file in the command file that     is used to start your database. Use Notepad to edit     %ORACLE_HOME%\DATABASE\STRT<SID>.CMD. Change the value     following parameter -USRPWD with the new internal password.

aartipatil_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

> I have installed Oracle 7.3.4 on NT. After creating the database I changed
> the password for SYS and SYSTEM.
>
> Problem: The database was runnning & I logged into Server Manager (svrmgrl )
> and gave the command
>
> > connect internal
> It asked me for the password
> > password:
>
> I entered the password for SYS and SYSTEM but it kept on giving me the
> following error message ORA-1031 Insufficient privileges
>
> Am I missing a step over here? Please help. Thanks.
> Aarti

Regards,

Tommy Cusan
MIS - DBA Tech. Support

Oracle Indonesia
Sentral Senayan I Office Tower, 9th Floor Jl. Asia Afrika no.8 - Jakarta 10270
Phone : (62 21) 572 3222
Fax : (62 21) 572 3350 / 60 Received on Tue Nov 03 1998 - 13:04:05 CST