Re: 64-bit Oracle

From: Jay Kyle <jay.kyle_at_mail.icbc.com>
Date: 1998/11/02

I know that Digital has this feature available to it, HP also has it, and SUN is just getting it in place now. As far as full end-to-end 64-bit, I believe the only Oracle specific issue is memory addressability so that the SGA can be larger than 3 gigs, or any single Oracle process for that matter.

What I'm looking for is anyone using any of these platforms utilizing features specific to the 64-bit option provided by Oracle. Is there any experience out there with it and how would you rate it compared to the 32-bit version(s).

For example, does a large SGA (say 10-12 gigs) provide any performance improvements over a smaller SGA (say 512MB) for a 500 gig table in a warehouse environement, etc.

FYI The warehouse I'm working on is a SUN Enterprise 10000

Jay Kyle