Re: Multiple DB Writers on Windows NT

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 21:43:36 GMT

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998 15:00:30 -0000, "Dean Cunningham" <drcunningham_at_bewiseltd.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I have read that you should have one DBWR process for each 50 online users
>and one DBWR process for every 2 batch jobs. On my system that should be
>about 5. Does this seem reasonable. All I know is that there is a
>DB_WRITERS parameter should normally set to 1 in the init<sid>.ora. Is this
>change as easy as added DB_WRITERS = 5 .
>Does Windows NT support this parameter and if so has anyone noticed any i/o
>improvement by using it. How can you then monitor the extra processes.

AFAIK multiple DB_WRITERS can be beneficial only on systems that don't use asynchronous I/O. As NT uses async I/O I don't think this parameter will be of any use.

>In addition does anyone use the PREPAGED_SGA parameter and if so is there
>some improvement noticed in performance. I have been told it increases the
>database startup time considerably and is useful if you close your database
>each night as optimum database performance is achieved much sooner as all
>the caches are pre-loaded.

Don't have any experience with this one...

>Regards

HTH,
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle7 DBA (OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Mon Nov 02 1998 - 15:43:36 CST