Oracle Server backup question

From: Spitzer Andras <sendai_at_drizzt.datanet.hu>
Date: 2 Nov 98 16:15:21 GMT

Hi!

I have an Oracle Database (8.0.3) on platform Irix 6.4, and I have to make backup of it. (ofcourse) I realized that I have chance to use the oracle utility called rman (Recovery Manager), or to use the unix command dd or tar. Of course first I would like to use the Oracle's software (rman), but it looks like this program can dump onto 'disc', or a special device, 'SBT_TAPE'. The disc is simply to understand, but this "special" device needs the Media Management Library to work. I have a Hewlett Packard Surestore tape, but I have no such a Media Management Library software for this device. (And I'm curious about if it's exist on Irix) The goal would be if I could tell to Oracle or rman to use an external program to make the backup. (Like dump, rdump, tar, dd) Someone made something like this before? Or is there a solution which can use the tape directly from Oracle without MML?

Thanks in advance: Andras Spitzer Received on Mon Nov 02 1998 - 10:15:21 CST