Multiple DB Writers on Windows NT

From: Dean Cunningham <drcunningham_at_bewiseltd.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 15:00:30 -0000

I have read that you should have one DBWR process for each 50 online users and one DBWR process for every 2 batch jobs. On my system that should be about 5. Does this seem reasonable. All I know is that there is a DB_WRITERS parameter should normally set to 1 in the init<sid>.ora. Is this change as easy as added DB_WRITERS = 5 . Does Windows NT support this parameter and if so has anyone noticed any i/o improvement by using it. How can you then monitor the extra processes.

In addition does anyone use the PREPAGED_SGA parameter and if so is there some improvement noticed in performance. I have been told it increases the database startup time considerably and is useful if you close your database each night as optimum database performance is achieved much sooner as all the caches are pre-loaded.

Regards Received on Mon Nov 02 1998 - 09:00:30 CST