Re: Hints on optimizing Oracle!

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 11:22:53 +0200

Adrian Harrison wrote in message
<363d4dce.5572833_at_read.news.globalnet.co.uk>...

>Using Oracle 7.3 NT, VB 6 enterprise on same NT 4 server PC!

>My main concern is the length of time it takes to connect to Oracle
<snipped>

There's 3 issues IMO when it comes to connection speed.

When you open the db connection in the front-end a bunch of DLLs need to be loaded. When using ODBC, that's a DLL or two more that need to be loaded. The only way to make this load faster is to use the LOADLIBRARY API call to pre-load them at app startup. Remember to call FREELIBRARY to free them when your app exits though or else they will remain in memory.

Secondly, a network connection needs to be created between the client and the server. This is very difficult to speed up as much of the networking is beyond the control of client application software. What you may want to do is to check and see what the network performance is like by doing a couple of pings and traceroutes to determine the route and segment speeds. There's a 3rd party utility that allows you to do some IP protocol stack configuration on Win'95 - saw it one of these large shareware sites. Not sure though how good it is and whether or not it actually makes a significant difference or not (it changes some registry settings for the Win'95 IP protocol stack).

OK, lastly you have the listener on the other side that accepts the connection, "validates" it (check the SID and so on) and then starts a "shadow process" on the server to service your client. The speed with which this is done depends on the Unix box, Unix o/s config, load on the machine, etc.

Basically, there's not much you can easily do to decrease connection time. This is especially a problem in the web server environment with CGI. One of the solutions in this environment is to make use of ISAPI or NSAPI DLLs - the DLL is basically a CGI, but as it's active all the time (unlike a CGI that's only executed when the URL is clicked) it can open a couple of connections and keep them open all the time.

regards,
Billy Received on Mon Nov 02 1998 - 03:22:53 CST