Re: How to connect 2 instance?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 07:42:50 +0100

Hi Violin,

One listener per node is sufficient, you need to make the existing listener listen for the new database. Three ways to do it:

- use net easy config
- use Oracle Network Manager (for more complex hierarchical database networks)
- quick and dirty

I will describe the quick and dirty here. Edit c:\orant (oracle_home)\network\admin\listener.ora. There already is one block for the current sid, it starts with sid_list_listener, and there are sections in it for each individual sid.
Simply copy and paste, change the sid to ora2 in the second block. Then the tnsnames.ora needs to be changed (this change should be made on all clients) and a similar operation should be done: copy the block for the existing database, change the sid and save. You should now be able to connect to the new instance with eg plus33 scott/tiger_at_ora2.

Hth,
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA