character set conversion

From: <sbenyo_at_ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 00:56:39 +0200

Hello,

I recently transferred my databases from US7ASCII characterset to IW8ISO8859P8.
(updating the sys.props$ system table)
The process was very easy and passed with no apperant problems. Unfortunately, There is a db-link between two of my databases and because the transfer was
not immediate in all databases, I had rows in IW8ISO8859P8 written into a US7ASCII database,
and of-course they got messed up! (seeing only '????').

  1. What is really a characterset and how does it influence the database ?
  2. Is there a way to get back the data that was written from IW8ISO8859P8 into US7ASCII database ?

I really need some explaining in this matter so I'll appreciate any help!

                                                                     10X

Shaul Received on Sun Nov 01 1998 - 16:56:39 CST