Re: Oracle 7 and RAID 5

From: Thomas Pall <tpall_at_bga.com>
Date: 31 Oct 98 21:32:36 GMT

You might wish to pick up the book titled "Oracle8 & Windows NT Black Book", Mike Curtis and Jacqueline King, ISBM 1-57610-248-3. The book shows how to set up various levels and types of RAID, which types to use for which files. It also lays about a kind of OFA for NT.

It is a pretty common practice to create a big RAID 5 drive. Makes it fault tolerant. However, it is definitely not the optimal approach. Sequentially accessed files such as those containing your rollback and temporary tablespaces would be better on shadowed drives.

Merlin Team (merlin_team_at_hotmail.com) wrote:
: Hi,

: I am currently considering installing Oracle 7 under Windows NT 4 Server.
: The server is configured using RAID 5, can anybody provide information about
: the installation of Oracle in such an environment.

: I am not sure whether the RAID is hardware or software controlled, so any
: information in the advantages/disadvantages of either approach would be most
: welcome.

: Thanks

: Paul
: merlin_team_at_hotmail.com