Re: Oracle Processes on NT

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 09:44:04 +0200

sbenyo_at_ibm.net wrote in message <3638F839.F87C3632_at_ibm.net>...
>I run Oracle 7.3.3 on NT.
>I have several instances running the simultaneusly on this machine.
>Each instance creates a process named ORACLE73.EXE.
>Is there a way to know which oracle instance, created which ORACLE73.EXE
>process ?

Difficult one I think. I assume that the SPID column V$PROCESS contains the thread handle of the NT process. It contains the Unix PID on Unix.

Take a look at the Process and Thread API calls in the Win32 API manual (or help file). There's an API call OPENPROCESS that can be used. Setting the access mask to PROCESS_QUERY_INFORMATION and using this API call may give you the info you're looking for. Assuming you're a programmer of course. (I always use to take it for granted that -any- computer professional is de facto an excellent programmer too - until of course I started to work with DBAs, support personnel and these so-called independent consultants.)

I may give this a bash sometime next week myself if I have the time. Will be interesting to see what info can be retrieved on a NT box from an Oracle thread. I always found the Unix truss command very useful when hitting brickwalls when running into weird Oracle performance problems. :-)

regards,
Billy Received on Fri Oct 30 1998 - 01:44:04 CST