Re: Help a new DBA

From: <cyril.gordon_at_usa.net>
Date: 1998/10/29

Hi,

It sound like you are being asked to export your database. Use exp or exp7? or exp8?. On UNIX export is exp, on NT it is exp7? or exp8?. You can find out what your database version is by selecting banner from v$version. exp and imp have a bunch of parameters, you may wish to look at Oracle? Utilities Manual or any other book available. By the way, you have a set of manuals on your Oracle7 CD ROM, Utilities Manual is there. To be safe, ask what exactly they want you to do, if it is export do export. If they want you to backup the database shut it down and copy all the files to safe storage.

Good luck,

Cyril Gordon