Re: Intelligent agent & OEM problem

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 19:03:49 +0100

Hi Gordon,

A reply from a fellow victim, I spent a good deal of this working day with resolving OEM problems, though not this one. I have a feeling though were the problem is. You are missing out a section in your tnsnames.ora (I'm not sure this variant of tnsnames.ora is to be located on both the database server and the OEM console). Here is - from memory- what I have extra in tnsnames.ora on the OEM console

agent_somenode.ad.klm.nl =
(address = (host = somenode.ad.klm.nl)(protocol=tcp)(port=1748))

The port number MUST be 1748, it's hardcoded and has been assigned to Oracle by IANA. Using Oracle Daemon Manager in the OEM console you should now be able to ping the intelligent agent and retry the service discovery.

In the recent past I had to sort out many OEM problems, there is much information in the OEM forum on www.oracle.com/support, there even is a separate document of the top 21 problems with OEM. My and probably your question is: If so many people all have the same problems why are they not been addressed properly by Oracle? OK, a few only are real bugs, and if it's doing what it is supposed to do, it is a tremendous product, how come the software seems to be either unstable or too difficult to configure?

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA